Saturday 28 November 2009



I sense that you favour investment trusts, Moneybox Man. But how do I actually buy them without having my money snaffled by predators? I've been kept awake at night worrying about it.  Hesitant Investor, Stratford Upon Avon
 I'm glad you asked me that, Hesitant Investor. There are two very-low-cost on line brokers I am happy to recommend. They are Selftrade and Alliance Trust (see next post).

Selftrade
Will accept up to £20,000 immediately by debit card.
Charges £12.50 a trade. Trawls the marketmakers for best deal, so can save you a couple of quid on that if you're lucky.
Charges £35 a year plus VAT to run your accounts, collect dividends for you, show your portfolio online, give you a yearly printed statement, allow you to transfer dividends to your bank account. Allows you 3 free trades a year - but they have to be taken in August!

Alliance
Will accept up to £25,000 immediately by debit card.
Charges £12.50 a trade, with a small reduction if you hold shares in the Alliance Trust.
No charge for running your account, collecting dividends for you, showing your portfolio on line, allowing you to transfer dividends to your bank account.

No comments:

Post a Comment