Thursday 25 February 2010

TAKING THE PLUNGE









You may remember that I wrote to Alastair asking him how I should invest my money, thinking that as Chancellor of the Exchequer he would know everything. He told me "Moneybox Man knows everything!" and last week very kindly gave me and Miss Muddled a lift to Ullapool in the Queen's helicopter. It was a wonderful seminar (you were terrific doing the Highland Reel)  and I now want to invest my money. But how do I actually start? How do I take the plunge? Bewitched, Beckenham

Well, Bewitched Beckenham, the first thing to do is go to the Alliance Trust on line here and open a stocks and shares ISA for the current financial year. You don't have to put any money into it yet, but if you go through the formalities of opening it, you will be in a position to move swiftly when you want to (just as you did when Wee Willie Killicrackie of Dundee made those unfortunate advances last week at the buffet). All you have to do at the Alliance website is click "New Client" then click "ISA stocks and shares", confirm that you do not have a financial adviser - and fill in the form. If you were over 50 you would be allowed £10,200 for this year, but as you are clearly nowhere near 50 you will only be allowed £7,200.

When this account is opened you will be able to put the money in when you like (before April 5) very simply by debit card - and then when you feel like it you will be able to buy something!

I will be happy to talk you through that when you are ready. Or Alastair will. Or Wee Willie, of course.

After April you will be able to put a further £10,200 in for the next financial year.

No comments:

Post a Comment